Pages

Monday, December 05, 2005

Can Everybody Say... Touchdown!!

[Orig. titled: And Now... Heeeere's Ezzie!]

Today is a day in which the things I typically write about are of no interest to me; or at least not interesting enough that I feel like I must write something. Instead, this is one of those days where I'm more inclined to read what others have to say. Actually, scratch that: I'm almost always more interested in what others have to say. But usually, I feel like adding my own two cents, whether on the same subjects or on a totally different one. Today - no interest in stating much of an opinion on anything.

It's been an interesting, and fun, day. Highlight: Intramural flag football in the snow. 6-on-6, similar to the AFI in Israel, for those who've played in it. Great, defensive battle all game. We were down 7-0 at the half, but scored a touchdown with about 9 minutes left and tied it up at 7-7. After a stop, we had the ball at about their 22 (it's a 70 yard field split into thirds; there are two 20's which are roughly 30 yards apart [20-30-20]. If you cross either of the 2 lines you get a 1st down), needing to cross the 20 for a first. We called for a run, where I'd line up to the right and take out their best defensive lineman from his side, while another receiver sweeps left to take the handoff and get across the first down line. I took out the lineman, but their safety read it and was running full speed to get to the receiver before he could turn the corner. He dove, while our receiver stretched out... and got him, about a foot shy.

They took over and proceeded to drive all the way down, demolishing our zone and capping the drive with a touchdown and incredible catch on the extra point to go up 14-7 with just 15 seconds left. After the kickoff gets touched and goes out of bounds, we have the ball inside our own 20 with 13 seconds left. After a quick incomplete pass on a blitz, their safety knocks down a ball in the middle of the field to end the game: But there are 3 ticks left. We debate what to do, calling a timeout. The receiver with the strongest arm is going to play quarterback for the second play in a row, and throw it far - but where? I remember what happened the last time we played this team: Though down 9, we threw up a final pass which I caught off a tip and ran in for a touchdown. Why not, with a 6'4 guy on our team, try to throw in the middle of the field as deep as possible - which will be well short of the endzone in the wet snow - and have him tip it back to someone else to run it in? The 6'4 guy says he's going to try and tip it behind him, toward the end zone. I don't think it's possible, but okay. The normal QB is receiving, while the current QB tells the 3rd receiver (technically, I'm the TE on this play) to just go up the sideline to catch a bomb in case this isn't looking good.

On the snap, I streak down the middle of the field to a bit past the other 20, while 6'4 guy is a few feet behind me. The normal QB is ahead of me, closer to their end zone, as the ball comes toward us in the middle of the field. There are 4 defenders, and as I turn around, I see 6'4 guy set for the jump and tip. It's going to be high, which means if he misses it, I'll catch it, and have to spin back to my right and beat the safety and another guy to the corner of the end zone; and if he tips it back only a bit, it will also pop to me. If he tips it far back and actually redirects it, it could go right into the hands of our normal QB. He leaps up, as 2 defenders - one in front of him to the left, the other on his right - do the same. 2 other defenders move toward him, ostensibly to either knock it down if it goes over him or nail him if he catches it. He gets his hand up, and... tips it UP and BACK to his LEFT - right into the wide-open and waiting arms of our normal QB. He turns, and starts racing for the end zone. I and the other receiver I believe block the back 2 defenders over before they can turn and chase, and he walks into the endzone on a miracle play. TOUCHDOWN!

But it's not over yet. We're still down 14-13, and the ref has informed us that there will be no overtime today. We decide to go for two: It's only a few feet longer; it gives us more room to work with; and it's for the win, baby! The normal QB is QB. The guy who just QBed runs out, past the goal line, works off the defender who was trying to check him at the line, and cuts toward the right side of the end zone. The QB rolls right, throws... and it sails way over his head and out of bounds.

We lose, 14-13. But what a great, well-played, FUN game. And that's a lot more important.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you mean behind him. He said he was wide open... :)

    ReplyDelete