Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

EZ Reads 3/21/11

Purim is always a good time to find out what people "really" think of you, so it was great to read yesterday and this morning about myself. Apparently, I am a brain-intruding, disheveled, pushy, annoying, sex offending stalker robot (I just know this is going to show up on Google). Congratulations to Diana on pulling the series off and to all the writers for the absolute hilarity; it's amazing how much of those posts were true (er, not the descriptions of me! Mostly...)!

Anyway, there are some really interesting reads out there from the weekend as life returns to normal and the world slowly ceases spinning.
  • If Purim is over, are you starting to get ready for Pesach? Kosher on a Budget has you covered.
  • A convert through the Vaad HaRabbonim of Queens is one a number of Orthodox converts whose conversions are not being recognized in Israel.
  • Why do we let girls dress like sluts? Interesting excerpt:
    I have a different theory. It has to do with how conflicted my own generation of women is about our own past, when many of us behaved in ways that we now regret. A woman I know, with two mature daughters, said, "If I could do it again, I wouldn't even have slept with my own husband before marriage. Sex is the most powerful thing there is, and our generation, what did we know?" [...]

    So here we are, the feminist and postfeminist and postpill generation. We somehow survived our own teen and college years (except for those who didn't), and now, with the exception of some Mormons, evangelicals and Orthodox Jews, scads of us don't know how to teach our own sons and daughters not to give away their bodies so readily. We're embarrassed, and we don't want to be, God forbid, hypocrites.

    Still, in my own circle of girlfriends, the desire to push back is strong. I don't know one of them who doesn't have feelings of lingering discomfort regarding her own sexual past. And not one woman I've ever asked about the subject has said that she wishes she'd "experimented" more.
  • R' Gil posts the "secret" rules and guidelines most rabbonim follow when it comes to paskening halacha. Nothing too surprising, but still a good basic breakdown.
  • Ha'aretz on the rising stakes of Kosher certification. Such politics, unsurprisingly, but also really interesting and the most in-depth piece I've read on the subject.
  • Life in Israel has Netanyahu's interview with CNN on peace.
  • Those French (Chassidish?) twins who do wedding routines do an ad for Jeunesse - not bad. I'm just wondering if they're 18.
  • Hilarious cartoon on ADD vs. jerks at Doghouse... and xkcd has a great rejoinder to the "Year X called, they want their ____ back" line. I'm totally using that one next time.
  • Crazy video from Spanish basketball - announcer is as good as the video.
Enjoy, and I hope everyone recovers from Purim well.

5 comments:

  1. if i understand google correctly these are keywords which would link to your post: sex offender, girls dress like sluts, do it again, daughters, wondering if they're 18,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better: I take it that's how you got here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I make my second post in months and don't even make it to EZ Reads?? :-(

    P.S. I find the notion that having sex = "giving away your body" deeply disturbing. I think premarital sex is a good idea for almost everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >Why do we let girls dress like sluts?

    I always ask the exact question during Halloween. It is an amazing phenomenon

    ReplyDelete