Pages

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

JES: Ready

:::Whew!::: (If you haven't taken the survey yet, please do so here.)

Bas~Melech put it well when she asked me a couple of hours ago:
"You're ready with more than a day left? What's that like?!
Honestly, it's odd. While it's nice that that pressure of preparing is off, and I don't have to worry about that, I'm the type that actually thrives off the pressure. I enjoy being given more difficult or time-impossible tasks, then coming up with ways to pull them off anyway. That said, I now have over a day to drive myself crazy about it. Ah well.

The responses have been flying in the last couple of days. Rather than analyze more numbers (I think my head is about ready to explode, and I like this stuff), I'll just note a few interesting comments left on some of the questions near the end:
  • Great idea. The current system is broken. There are years when my wife and my take-home pay is less than our combined tuitions for just 4 children. Yeshivas and girls schools are teaching the children that it is wrong for a young married man to earn any money at all until several years into the marriage, yet yeshiva and girls' school tuitions are astronomical. This paradigm cannot survive for another generation given the recent economic meltdown.
  • Go to public college, not private!!
  • Move to Eretz Yisroel before having children or when they are very young, where all types of Jewish education is MUCH more affordable than in the U.S.A. (I would not recommend moving with adolescent children.)
  • do not buy what you can't pay for right now. practice delayed gratification
  • save, save, save. forget what everyone else is doing or what you did when you were single. stop spending money.
I thought these were especially interesting. The first one is one heard many times, but the number is scary: Take-home pay less than tuition alone? But it's pretty understandable: Even a couple earning $100,000 is only taking home about half that if they work in Manhattan. Sadly, $50,000 might not cover tuition for more than 3 kids.

Public college vs. private: While people take for granted that private college is somehow better, I've yet to find a frum person I know who chose public over private who later suffered for it. Or for that matter, someone who chose a "name" school over a non-name school. Interestingly, there was a study (either UCLA or Harvard) years ago that tracked similar students - one who would pick an Ivy school and the other who would pick a decent state school. The students years down the road were doing equally well. It's definitely something worth at least thinking about.

I thought the Israel approach (while mentioned by nearly anyone who moved to Israel) was interesting, and I thought it nice that the person balanced a non-economic consideration. Whenever people discuss finances there's typically a weight of economics over everything else, and not without reason; but it's important to find a good balance there. That exists on the other side, too, as noted well by the next comment: An overwhelming number of comments feel that delayed gratification is something that simply does not exist among their peers, whether due to pressure to "keep up" or something else.

Finally, I especially enjoyed the last comment. While many people are able to ignore what everyone else is doing in terms of their expenses, they aren't necessarily able to do the same when it comes to their own self from before. People get married and can't seem to let go of some of the things they "always" spent money on, whether entertainment (baseball games), clothing (shoes), food (eating out), or the like. Marriage is a whole new financial ballgame compared to being single.

23 comments:

  1. "Even a couple earning $100,000 is only taking home about half that if they work in Manhattan. Sadly, $50,000 might not cover tuition for more than 3 kids."

    Where'd you get this calculation?

    Certainly not correct especially if they have 3 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh - you're right, that was dumb. The calculation is on a single, stupidly.

    But the number (based on similar personal experience) is still barely above $60k. Either way, the general idea still stands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm they need some help with their taxes. I can show you some tax returns from people I know that dispute this. If they pay any childcare - legally they pay some health insurance, they can get some of their commute tax deductible, use a flexible spending account and some other things i cant think of off the top of my head.

    They need alot of help if they have 3 kids and are bringing home 60K. Sad souls. I'd expect them to work out >75K

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're including state and local taxes? The tax for working in Manhattan? Etc?

    I paid more than $30k in taxes on a lower income than that (granted I have only 2 kids).

    Also, not sure what the AMT threshold is now, but such a family might be crossing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this after they deducted medical or something? Something's not adding up. Did you get any tax refund?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No - total tax owed.

    $25~ Fed, 8~ State/Local. (Wife was on a 1099 part of that year.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, G-D. 1099 is part of the 100K? Did you get a good accountant? You can expense you freaken cloths practically on a 1099!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a 1-on-1 SpEd teacher who's honest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have an idea for part of the economic crisis anyway.

    People should make sure to have a really good accountant :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AGREED!!

    LOL - I should have opened up a private practice before starting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir, honesty? OK, the heat had to be on for the kid to be in the house? expense part of the heat. You need a bigger house to have a place to teach? You expense the room. This is not an honesty issue. Go to a Rabbi find out what you can say/do within the allowable loopholes. Seriously I consulted with authority about some of this I will not say YOU CAN but at least ask. Don't be too quick too assume certain loopholes are not honest. If I expense my business phone but have no home phone is that dishonest because it's really not a business line?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teaching within a school classroom, working one-on-one with a kid in their class? Yes, that'd be dishonest.

    Almost all loopholes are dishonest. If it's not a legit expense, DON'T DO IT.

    Business phone? If you don't have a home phone, figure out what % of the time it's for business. Deduct accordingly. Serach does that for her stuff - the % of her phone bill that's for business we deduct. NOT all of it.

    I'd much rather tell people to change their spending habits than to try shady loopholes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Open a private practice my man and your clients will be the honest, straight and poor.

    Good luck to you all.

    Seriously phone lines have a flat cost. How in the world would you deduct for the 15 minutes you spoke to your mom on it last Tuesday? You've got to be kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's okay. My grandfather went to Harvard Law, didn't make much money. His nickname was Honest Ben. My Dad went to CWRU, does financial planning. His clients all were able to realistically get wherever they wanted - honestly. And yeah, he doesn't make much money: But he's always been honest, always advising them as to what's best for them and not for him.

    I'd much rather sleep at night knowing I've done right than make money.

    And it's very simple: Phone costs $40/month? 20% was business? Deduct $8.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK. Whatever works for you. Again you can always ask a lawyer and rabbi and work it out

    To some degree you are being overly honest though and it's no mitzvah to give the govt extra money, "20% was business?" when no one is on the phone and it's not ringing is it personal or business? How about the 8 hours a day it's not in use? How about shabbos?

    Do it this way: 25% personal so 75% business. This is a really simplistic explanation of how honestly and loopholes and doing it with a twist can help a lot without having a problem ang making a find kiddush hashem during an audit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll err on the side of being overly honest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry to chime in here regarding business expenses. From Pub 535 regarding Business Expenses:

    Telephone. The cost of basic local telephone service (including any taxes) for the first telephone line you have in your home, even though you have an office in your home is not deductible. However, charges for business long-distance phone calls on that line, as well as the cost of a second line into your home used exclusively for business, are deductible business expenses.

    Jerk-You've picked an appropriate name. If you have your own business and/or are a contractor, please, please, please take every expense that you can. Keep solid mileage records. Make sure you record every expense.

    But don't be brazen because it might come back to haunt you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Secondly, legitimate business expenses are not "loopholes." I recommend tax planning, but can smell trouble when someone is searching high and low for "loopholes."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank y'all. My Rabbi, my lawyer, my accountant and I will decide whether to loophole money and pay full tuition so my children's teachers can possibly get paid on time or give it to the govt to waste.

    Remember when all is said and done with all the complaining about tuition costs our children's education is the most important thing (once we have enough bread and water to live on).

    I'm confident about the law and what I do so I doubt I'll be calling you from jail any time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks SL.

    Jerk - The best education for your kids is how you act. (Note my stories above.) I think that teaching them that it's okay to do questionable things to get what you "need" is probably not a great education.

    I certainly hope we don't hear from you from jail, but I hope that's mostly because you don't do anything that even could possibly warrant it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "The best education for your kids is how you act. (Note my stories above.) I think that teaching them that it's okay to do questionable things to get what you "need" is probably not a great education."

    Kind of predictable. I just hope your kids don't learn to publish Loshon Hora (or motze shem ra) publicly on the WWW as they see fit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Me neither. Hopefully they'll note just how careful I am about what I do and don't post, and what I go through before posting most things I do, and learn from that. Thanks!

    An advantage to being non-anonymous is it forces you to be more careful about what you do and don't say in a public forum.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can we please not forget where our money (and expenses) comes from? It's all been decided on Rosh Hashana. Will you get it through honesty or through perversions of honesty?

    Same goes for the kids' rebbes. One parent's stretching their exemptions for the sake of tuition will not impact the amount that their teachers will receive. Who makes it your job to rob from the rich and give to the poor, so to speak?

    ReplyDelete