Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fear The Magic Picture Window!!!...

...lest it corrupt and extinguish your soul leaving a dark empty place only to be inhabited by the evil forces...

From The Wolf via Matzav.com



...or, 'ya know, not...


Dearest Mommy and Abba,

Just wanted to thank you for the iPod touch you got me for my birthday. It’s the coolest thing! Seriously. I use it all the time to listen to the latest Jewish songs! You would like totally smile if you knew. Anyway, OMG! It’s like the greatest thing ever. And the internet is WAY fast. It only takes me a few seconds to download the BEST shiurim and divrei Torah imaginable. I can literally learn about any Torah topic I want. Bet you had no idea when you bought it. What a bonus, cuz, you know, I was just a regular 7th grader full of potential, and now I have a way to tap into it. You have high hopes for me I’m sure – this just helps. I really care about learning – along with everything else - and I’ll probably be the most educated student in school pretty soon. Thanks for trusting me. You rule!

Love, Yosef

10 comments:

  1. I got that mailing. We had a good laugh at it. I'm not saying that the basic message is wrong but the presentation was WAY over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and that basic message would be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to guess "you have no idea what this technology is capable of".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave the matter some more thought after I put up my original post and I realized that there was a second, underlying message here:

    Kids that wear baseball caps and T-shirts are bums.

    The Wolf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wolf - Wow, I must be super bad then. In an old Lander brochure, they edited out my blue/white Israeli beanie (like those huge bowl yarmulkes - NaNach shape, for lack of a better description) that I was wearing for a backwards red baseball cap instead. They thought the beanie looked too bummy, so they colored it over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooklyn Wolf,

    Your post reminded me about this:
    A few years ago the Jewish Observer ran a cover picture contrasting a chareidi Yerushalmi and some Jewish kids in T-shirts and baseball caps. A month of two later they ran an apology for comparing the two pictures. Apparently the parents of the children in T-shirts were frum tourists who didn't appreciate their children's images being expoited that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The real problem is how frickin' spoiled these kids are. To get something this expensive I used to have pull shtick and attempt to combine a birthday, chanukah, and afikomen present (combining presents is so classic). The kids in my classes that have them are usually the ones that get the worst grades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ezzie, Sadly they did the same thing to my kippa in an old brochure... sadly all I had on was a kippa s'ruga

    ReplyDelete
  9. "But, DAD! I downloaded the Metallica CD from YOUR collection!!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, all this is such a blast from the past. It's like I'm growing up in a Jewish home again! Just when I thought I had gotten out on my own...

    ReplyDelete