Pages

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Early Morning Musings

Rare is the day that I am up in the wee hours of the morning... after having slept, anyway. Those of you who know me (hmm, I think that's most of you) know that I much prefer living a somewhat nocturnal life - staying up until 3, 4, even 5 in the morning, then waking up at about 8. (9:30 on Shabbos!) I found it ironic that the earliest I would wake up recently was at about 7:00 or so to have time to make an 8:15 flag football game on a Sunday morning. Something about that just seemed to make me feel better that my life still revolves - at least somewhat - around the portions of life I care about most, and not what is dictated to me by the so-called "necessities" of life.

Throughout my life... {oh wow, one thing I miss from these early mornings is those beautiful sunrises - how can I describe it?! From dark blue to purple to light blue to a think line of yellow to a strong pink and orange... stunning} ...I've often been that guy who does everything on his own terms - even when it's not his place to do so. This stems from a lot of things: I think I know better (I have quite the ego), I know I can get things done as I say (see?), but most importantly, I hate being told how to do things when they're clearly inefficient. To clarify, I don't mind being told what to do - obviously, someone needs to delegate roles. I don't mind being told a way to do something - obviously, more experienced people often know far better how to do something. It is when I feel like work is being given for the sake of giving work that I get intensely frustrated.

Can you remember being in school or even at home as a kid, and saying "I finished my work" - only to be told, "Oh, let's find you something to do then"? That always bothered me. Here, you've worked hard and finished what needed to be done, only to be [from a child's point of view] "punished" with more work. Or, you'd be asked to help someone else with their work - now, this is a fine trait to learn, and particularly if one is recognized for it, it can be worthwhile, but as a child, it feels as if someone has said to you "You're too smart - here, do extra work and help make up for this other person." At least in school, however, you feel like you're actually helping the person learn and they therefore get something from it - work is a completely different story.

One of the more annoying issues one faces in the working world is that these same issues from school come up... but there's far less gratification for helping others and far more frustration at doing one's own work well. There is so little to be gained by working quickly, smartly, and efficiently that people generally don't bother to do so. Working quickly will simply raise the expectations on a person in their next role; get them dumped with yet more work; and force them to be expected to help shoulder the load of others who are less talented, less careful, or simply lazier than they are. Working slowly [but not too slowly of course] will allow a person to relax, to get help from those harder workers, and allow them to present their accomplishments as larger than they are: "Look how long this project took!"

The argument people often give is "well, the people above notice" - that's a wonderful concept in life, when one can argue that even if others don't notice how much effort you put into your life, at least God does; but it doesn't fly as well when it comes to work. All right, so they notice - does it affect your salary, your bonus, your raise? Well, yes... but minimally. If someone would tell you that you'll get an extra $1,000-$2,000 in a year if throughout the year you work much harder, much longer hours, and with far more frustration, would you do it? It's hard to justify the quality of life sacrifice for something like that. If salaries were more closely tied to performance, then perhaps it would make more sense - but they are not.

Often in life, it feels as if the only way to be contented with one's work is to take pride in it - in what was accomplished, in how it was done, in the ideas a person thought of to make it go faster, easier, more efficiently. It is how a person can avoid the frustrations above - yes, perhaps it's not recognized, or if it is, it's not shown in ways that matter for someone who needs it - but at least the person can hold on to that feeling of 'look what I came up with, look at the job I did' and take pride in it. It is for that reason that being told how to do something - "because that's how we want it done" - is such a killer. It strips away that last sense of accomplishment that a person could have, and turns them into nothing but a piece of equipment that is used to do work. It is completely deadening.

Life is too important to live all on someone else's terms.

11 comments:

  1. I left this out of the post, but an interesting aside: A highly-ranked person in another company told me recently that they do something very different when their staff comes up with a way of doing something - if they think it might work, they let them try it. If they don't think it will work, they show them why. And if the person doesn't understand, and the time spent won't be too inefficient, they'll let them try it anyway and see for themselves why it doesn't work.

    Also, some notes: While this sounds like it's about my job, it is only minimally so. It's about life in general and how I function - I didn't really think of work until "At least in school..." The post was mostly supposed to be about not feeling like life revolves around the everyday grind but what I want to get out of life.

    And I write *way* better late at night than early in the morning. Ugh. I already see how I'd rewrite this... good thing I'm lazy and only write one draft of anything. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found ways to do things that cut out half a dozen steps and my boss doesn't accept them. It is the biggest pain and so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I was one of those kids, and it drove me crazy when teachers did that. It's like, sheesh, I wasted my time doing your stupid busywork that I probably didn't need to do to assimiliate the information anyway...and now I'm being "rewarded" with MORE of this?! Hence why my grades suffered as I got older and simply refused to waste my time on busywork in the first place. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that they have done studies that working longer than your average work day/week will greatly reduce the quality of your work. I think we all know this intuitively as well.

    So if a company did tie salary expectations to working longer hours that company will be in for some trouble down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to scraps.
    I also had that a lot in school. It became sort of like a joke that I was almost always one of the first people finished a test (and I did pretty well all throughout school). It's usually one of my "points for improvement" on my yearly review - that I work too quickly. Even though I am efficient and pretty thorough and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good reason to open your own business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's important to find the best way of doing things for you. if you spend your life always doing things the way other want, then i'd imagine it wouldn't be so fulfilling.

    scraps: i'm with you!

    (i don't think i'd handle a 9-5 job, with a proper boss telling me what to do. what i do now is work my own scattered, organised messy way, with my own hours and i get the work done by the deadlines, with the best final product i can do in the set time/budget.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like Scraps, Sarah, and I would have done well as classmates...at least then we'd have had company :)

    I work way too hard. I love it. But I also don't work hard enough sometimes. And I like that, too.

    Life is too cool
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jstein- you are so right. Its just so scary!! Even when you have a supplier and a great venue to sell the items!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avrom - Not longer hours; more efficient hours!

    Everyone else - exactly. :)

    ReplyDelete