Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tipping Points?

Krum has a very good post utilizing a comment I made a couple of days ago, analyzing whether the Schwach editorial or perhaps Noah Feldman's article created a tipping point for anti-Orthodox discussion in the media. He argues that today's emphasis on political correctness would counterbalance such commentary, which I understand but feel I disagree with somewhat. (See the comments there.) Excerpt:
I have heard others suggest that Feldman's article was actually the tipping point. Frankly, I am not concerned about a "tipping point" resulting in a public outpouring of pent up anti-Orthodox vitriol. And the reason is simple: political correctness. Political correctness has become so entrenched in mainstream American culture that any sort of criticism of minorities finds little sympathy among media and politicians. PC serves as a bulwark against this become a true tipping point.

Powered by WebAds