Pages

Friday, July 03, 2009

Well Waddaya Know XXX

Last week's question and answer:
Blind people are better than sighted people at which of the following:

understanding words
0 (0%)
hearing sounds
38 (86%)
remembering stories
6 (13%)
training dogs
0 (0%)

Votes so far: 44
Poll closed
I find it interesting that an overwhelming majority went with hearing sounds (I picked remembering stories). I think that comes from the idea that people with handicaps compensate with other senses. But I just think of how they are forced to learn and remember - they need to store everything in their head without the ability to remind themselves with visual cues. Consider being blindfolded in a game where someone guides you - you don't hear the sounds better, but you listen more closely and remember what people are telling you in terms of where to walk and what to look out for, forming a "picture" in your mind like that. (Note: I could be completely wrong; that's just why I went with stories.)

This week's question is up to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment