Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Mordy Show

It’s been three weeks instead of two, I know. But I’ve been busy, which you will soon find out if you continue reading. Why you care on the other hand is beyond me.

[Click expand to see it all]

Yiddishkeit:

1. Stop cursing

Haven’t quite got this one down yet. It’s really hard!
Someone gave me an idea to carry a roll of pennies around with me and every time I curse I just put a penny into the other pocket and then at the end of the day put all those pennies in tzedaka. So that’ll be the next thing to start I guess…

1. Carry roll of pennies to help with not cursing.


2. Going to shachris with a minyan

Ok, so since I wrote this on April 2, out of 21 days, I missed only 3 minchas, 4 maarivs, and not a single shachris. Out of those 21 shachrises though only 7 were with a minyan. 15 out of the 18 minchas were with a minyan, and 9 out of 17 maarivs were with a minyan. I think I should get down all the tefillos first before worrying about minyan, especially since I don’t think I’m doing too bad with the minyan thing so far.

2. Don’t miss any minchas or maarivs


3. Learning b’chavrusa

This one was a long shot, but in the past 21 days I did learn some Pirkei Avos on 10 days. I think my chavrusa is moving to Israel after Pesach, so I gotta do something about that.

3. Find a new chavrusa
4. Learn more Pirkei Avos


4. Say no to my yetzer hora

21 days=21 $’s and +’s. (that’s a good thing)

5. Continue to say no to my yetzer hora


And I started keeping track of what time I get out of bed every morning, which I guess really goes in the Life section, but I figure it will assist in the shachris thing and everything that gets tracked on the calendar is tied in to Yiddishkeit anyway, so I’ll just mention it here. Times for the first week, starting Sunday the 13th were: 7:05, 7:39, 8:09, 8:13, 9:30, 7:15, 6:46. Times for this week so far have been 9:13, 9:22, and 7:30.

School:

1. 6 Discussion board posts and related readings for His I

A chapter and half down. Another chapter and a half to go until I’m where I want to be and start putting up DB posts. Although while I’ve been trying to catch up, I’ve still been behind so really I’m behind 2 ½ chapters and 8 DB posts.

1. 8 Discussion Board posts and 2 and ½ chapters of reading for His I


2. 7 Discussion board posts and related readings for His II

Too busy with His I

2. 9 Discussion Board posts and 5 chapters of reading for His II


3. Get 2 books and write paper for His I

Got the books, now I gotta…

3. Write His I paper


4. Make up His I mid-term
5. Make up His II mid-term

Made up both mid-terms. Didn’t say I passed, just said I made them up.

6. Get 2 books and write His II mid-term

Got the books. Too busy with His I

4. Write His II paper


7. Write 2 Lit II papers

Too busy with His

5. Write 2 Lit II Papers


Work:

1. Finish catching up
2. Stay caught up
3. Try not to go insane
4. Get pay check


Quit job. Didn’t go insane. Got pay check.

5. Find better job

Working for pops in interim

1. Find other job


Firehouse:

1. Find someone to cover cleanup next Thursday night

Covered

2. Fill ice coolers

No one noticed that they weren’t filled because we haven’t really needed them yet. I’ll worry about it when it gets warmer out.

3. Stop wasting time

Getting there. I’ve been making the time I do spend there at least somewhat productive instead of just sitting in front of the tv. It’ll be easier over Pesach since we won’t really eat there.

1. Continue to not waste time


4. Check out a set of pocket tools

Haven’t got to that yet. Busy with everything else and FAST team class.

2. Check out thumb knife, interchangeable screw driver, and Klein wire strippers.


Climbing:

1. Finish all blacks and whites (V3’s)

Was finished but then they put up new ones. Now I gotta finish those.

1. Finish new V3’s


2. Project purples and limes (V4’s)

Finished some! Those were awesome. But the week break I just took will probably mean that it’ll take a couple of days to get back into trying anything too crazy.

2. Try some V4’s


3. Attempt yellows and teals (V5’s)

After I deal with 2.

4. Finish lead test

Eh, whenever I’m in the mood. No rush. I’ve got plenty other stuff in climbing to keep me busy right now.

5. Check out new shoes

I should really make this number 1. My shoes are officially busted. Hole straight through the edge of the toe. Oh, and I need more webbing and other gear since I’m going to start climbing outside more often (hopefully) since the weather is nice.

3. Get new shoes asap
4. Get more webbing


Dating:

1. Make some calls
2. Go on some dates
3. Find the right girl
4. Marry her

Technically I could just cross off 3, start from 1 then 2 and then 4. But I don’t have the guts for 1 and 2, and I don’t think 3 counts if she doesn’t know I found her. (If I really had it my way, I’d just skip straight to 4)LOL

Honestly, I just haven’t had time to think about this whole area.


Life:

1. Take defensive driving class

Signed up for the nights of April 29 and 30

2. Finish off ticket/license stuff

Lawyer is paid in full

3. Fix laptop

Debating whether to just buy a new one.

1. Fix the laptop or just buy a new one already!!!!!


4. Pay off debt

Credit card is done. Now it’s just something else, but it won’t affect my credit score (or break my legs)

5. Help out around the house

Helped a bunch before Pesach! (Helped not as much over Pesach… but I did still help!)

2. Help more around the house


6. Clean my room

Ok, so I FINALLY bought a stupid desk and chair that I’ve needed for like three years. Gd bless IKEA! $85 later and I have exactly what I want and my room is already looking better. Now if I could just find a place to put those stupid old accounting books. Accounting books, ewwww.

3. Keep room clean


7. Clean my car

Planned on doing that Thursday afternoon but got too busy with #2, but it’s a good thing because the wet/dry vac at the firehouse conked out on another guy while he was cleaning his car around the time I was planning on using it, so thank Gd I didn’t have to be responsible for breaking the stupid thing. And now that Pesach has started already, I guess there’s really no rush anymore.

4. Clean car after fire house gets new vacuum (hehe)


Alright, so here’s the new list:

Yiddishkeit:
1. Carry roll of pennies to help with not cursing
2. Don’t miss any minchas or maarivs
3. Find a new chavrusa
4. Learn more Pirkei Avos
5. Continue to say no to my yetzer hora

School:
1. 8 Discussion Board posts and 2 and ½ chapters of reading for His I
2. 9 Discussion Board posts and 5 chapters of reading for His II
3. Write His I paper
4. Write His II paper
5. Write 2 Lit II Papers

Work:
1. Find other job

Firehouse:
1. Continue to not waste time
2. Check out thumb knife, interchangeable screw driver, and Klein wire strippers
3. Clean gear (after final FAST team class on Thursday night)

Climbing:
1. Get new shoes asap
2. Finish new V3’s
3. Try some V4’s
4. Get more webbing
5. Start climbing (more) outside again

Dating:
1. Make some calls
2. Go on some dates
3. Find the right girl
4. Marry her

(or:
1. Muster up some guts
2. Ask girl out
3. Go on a couple of dates
4. Marry her before she changes her mind)

Life:
1. Fix the laptop or just buy a new one already!
2. Help more around the house
3. Keep room clean
4. Clean car after fire house gets new vacuum (hehe)
5. Continue to wake up early

Be back in two (or three) weeks...

8 comments:

  1. when i saw the title "The Mordy Show" i got so excited! This is gonna be fun!

    Yiddishkeit:
    Smart idea with the penny. It doesn't make you poor, and it isn't self-harming, but it's an action that will help remind you that the behavior is unwanted. I know someone from seminary who made herself say 10 perakim of tehillim for every time that she used bad language. It added up- at night she would sometimes sit there saying 60 or 70 perakim! She quit the habit FAST.
    Shkoyach on the minyan, the davening, the learning. Keep it up!
    Did you already explain the 21 days = $21 and + thing? cuz i'm confused, yet intrigued.

    School:
    Blah blah blah. good job.

    Ditto for Work, Firehouse, Climbing , and Dating.

    As for Life:
    I'm ALL FOR cleaning rooms. Just ask scraps. I can't believe you ppl let your messes get so out of hand!

    Thasabout it.

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, PN isn't joking about the room cleaning. She cleaned mine...and that was a JOB. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yashar Koach on all you've accomplished! Even just that much is something to congratulate yourself about. Be careful not to burn out and good luck with the rest! Like PN said, you can do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. sr- Keeping busy=Getting into less trouble!

    pn- Yeaaah, I'm sure it was more like, "omg, I'm so bored! Fiiiine, let's go see what Mordy's complaining about." lol

    So the dollar sign and plus sign thing is related to "the calendar" which I only mentioned in passing. Since June, in an attempt to work on certain specific areas, I started keeping track of certain things by marking them down on a calendar and each symbol stands for something. Davening with a minyan gets an X, without is just a \. Three times that day, mincha without a minyan, would look like X\X. Next to the X's is a little number (that has NOT been going down at all lately, but I'll deal with it eventually- not quite ready to put in on the list just yet) and then the $ and + stand for other things I've been working on. There has been a circle with a horizontal or vertical line in it that means other stuff, and thank Gd I've actually succeeded in getting rid of them for a while now. And recently, like I posted, I started keeping track of what time I get up. Also an ! if I learned with a chavrusa that day, and upside ! if I managed to open a gemara by myself, a PA for pirkei avos and a Pay if I did the parhsa/shnay mikra that day.

    All I need to do now is find me a roll 'o pennies.

    And can you clean Erachet's room too? She asked me if I wanted to do it last post buuuuuuut I don't think I feel too comfortable with that task... And with such a good referral from Scraps, who knows, maybe you might have a business opportunity on the horizon! lol

    Erashay- DON'T SAY BURN OUT!!! I'm only on the first update and you're already trying to jinx me?! lol.
    I do NOT want to hear any talk about burning out!

    And thanks all for the You can do it's! The support is the main thing that's gonna keep me going. (And prevent me from burning out!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you get rolls of pennies at the bank? Or buy the penny-roll-papers and make your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i probably got some rolls of pennies hangin around my house somewhere. that's the kind of thing my dad has around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erashay- DON'T SAY BURN OUT!!! I'm only on the first update and you're already trying to jinx me?! lol.
    I do NOT want to hear any talk about burning out!

    And thanks all for the You can do it's! The support is the main thing that's gonna keep me going. (And prevent me from burning out!)


    I'M SORRY!!!!!!!!!! I meant - STAY COOL, MAN. YOU CAN DO IT. *waves a MordyS flag*

    PSA: anyone who is willing to clean my room is more than welcome! Scraps? Pobody? Anyone? Bueller?

    ReplyDelete