Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sleep & School

Orthomom notes an absolutely fascinating study about how much of an effect sleep has on kids' functioning in school. Read the whole thing.

I think this is particularly interesting, as I've always been the "guy who doesn't sleep"... unless you ask my mother or Serach, who argue that I make up for it in the morning. Which, of course, is partially true. When I was in 7th grade, I likely went to sleep far later than most of my peers. Not only was I up late, I simply couldn't fall asleep for hours and hours. On the other hand, I was also the kid who would show up for minyan around Borchu at the earliest, but more often I'd go daven in the Beis Medrash downstairs in the HAC and get to breakfast a couple minutes after everybody else. In WITS, I led the school in detention (given out for coming late to curfew), piling up well over 100 hours' worth as I'd generally be awake until 2-3am... but I'd also consistently be nearing a suspension for minyan points as I'd come late for davening in the morning. This pattern has pretty much repeated itself for two decades. I go to sleep about three hours later than most people... and get up one hour later. Less sleep, but to a later point.

And yet, I was always among the sharpest in the class. In fact, I'd venture that the people I know who both stay up late but also sleep late the most are more often than not the brightest I know. They never seem groggy and rarely seem tired; they're sharp from the moment they get up (even if that is at noon or 2pm) to the moment they go to bed (4-7am). Maybe it's psychological; they feel more rested because they're getting up "late". Maybe they fall asleep faster, because they're going to sleep when their body says so, not at a proscribed time. But in light of some of the examples given in the article, I wonder if the effect is so much the amount of sleep people get as when they get that sleep. [emphasis mine]
Convinced by the mountain of studies, a handful of school districts around the nation are starting school later in the morning. The best known of these is in Edina, Minnesota, an affluent suburb of Minneapolis, where the high school start time was changed from 7:25 a.m. to 8:30. The results were startling. In the year preceding the time change, math and verbal SAT scores for the top 10 percent of Edina’s students averaged 1288. A year later, the top 10 percent averaged 1500, an increase that couldn’t be attributed to any other variable. “Truly flabbergasting,” said Brian O’Reilly, the College Board’s executive director for SAT Program Relations, on hearing the results.

Another trailblazing school district is Lexington, Kentucky’s, which also moved its start time an hour later. After the time change, teenage car accidents in Lexington were down 16 percent. The rest of the state showed a 9 percent rise.
Whenever I used to get up "early", say to borrow my friend Toast or iPay's brother's notes to study for tests at 5am, I would feel extremely groggy if I'd gone to sleep early to do so. Even though I'd gotten the same or more sleep as I normally would, I would still feel a bit less sharp. [Interestingly, if I'd stayed up late, taken a quick nap, and done this, I would still feel sharp.] And I'd feel less sharp all day - from classes in the morning to classes in the afternoon to general lethargy while playing football. But if I slept an extra half-hour to an hour in the morning, even if I'd stayed up incredibly late the night before, I'd feel sharp throughout.

Also interestingly... I never once fell asleep in class until 12th grade. (And as far as I can recall, that was the only time.) Friends would fall asleep all the time; I never understood it.

While the study is clearly referring to the difference in sleep, period, and shows that the difference starts at when kids go to sleep... I wonder if the effect is much greater in how late people sleep in the morning and not when they go to sleep at night. After all, people who go to bed earlier may lie awake for a while; but a person sleeping in the morning who gets up with an alarm will be getting definite sleep in that extra hour, at the least until their own body wakes them up. It's also extra time in the deeper and more fulfilling stages of sleep.

Anyway, it's an interesting study, with far-reaching effects. I think it's time more people learned to sleep in. :)

14 comments:

  1. My high school started at 7:25. My senior year I drove, and I used to pull up to the building at 7:24. Luckily my class was three doors in. And I was never docked any davening points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high school shacharis started at 7:30. I would wake up between 7:21 and 7:23 (on on time days), and over the next minutes, proceed to use the bathroom, wash negel vasser, (note: bathroom was down the hall) get dressed, run down 2-3 flights of stairs and across a wing or two of a mansion, and get my tefillin on by 7:29. We had it down to the second. If someone didn't go down the stairs as fast as us, they'd move to the side so we could jump down flights by them. (We generally would jump the last 6-8 steps of a given flight.) It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing most companies in NYC don't expect employees to get in before 9:30. Ezzie, expect that to change when you move to Baltimore ;)

    Diana,
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's less about when you go to sleep and more about sticking to the schedule your body has become used to which would explain you and your friends. the body learns to adapt, but its hard if you keep shaking it up.

    I rarely made it to high school-I was too busy sleeping,but when I did, it wasn't till 9:30/10:00 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, I've heard that the sleep you get before 12am is worth twice as much as the sleep after. I have no proof, but in my experience, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. speaking about sleep...check this out:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphasic_sleep

    ReplyDelete
  7. In fact, I'd venture that the people I know who both stay up late but also sleep late the most are more often than not the brightest I know.

    Must be true, because I'm that way as well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m a (family name withheld to protect innocent). This is what we do! We may not be great thinkers, or world leaders. We don’t read a lot, or run very fast...But dammit we can sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sleeping in. But I'm often just as tired if I sleep in and get, say 9-10 hours of sleep, as I am if I sleep very little (4-5 hours). I've also gotten used to going to bed really late (cough ::ezzie:: cough [although truthfully I went to bed late even before gchat took over my life]) and so now I find that I can't fall asleep right away unless I am very, very sleepy - or else I end up tossing and turning for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay for sleeping in!

    in high school, particularly year 12, i did all my best work late at night, most likely because it was more quiet then. it was difficult to make it to school on time though but as far as I remember, our year wasn't the best at showing up on time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never had a problem making it to school on time; I was usually the one who wanted to leave the earliest. I'm usually pretty good about getting to minyan on time, though I tend to need more time to get ready in the morning to come on time to minyan when I'm in a dorm setting. If I'm driving to minyan during the week, or walking elsewhere on Shabbat, I'm usually fine.

    I'm always tired; I never seem to be able to get enough sleep. Oh well. My best work sometimes comes at night (i.e. when I stayed up for a while last night working on my programming homework). Naps can sometimes get me through the day.

    One thing is for sure- I need plenty of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This should be a button:

    I am a blogger and I like to sleep in.

    Also--

    I was supposed to write a paper tonight but I went blogging instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was never big on sleeping. I don't like to wake up early, but when I sleep too late I feel gross. And of course, I don't go to sleep early unless I'm sick. My mother used to call me her night owl; I'd "hide" books under my pillow before bed and read by the nightlight until the wee hours of the morning as a kid. :-P It's a good thing I don't usually have computer access late at night, or I'd still never sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Then why do they schedule SATs so early in the [yawn] morning?

    Actually, I'm an early to bed early to rise-er myself. It would be interesting to see if I'm sharper on late days.

    ReplyDelete