The full details are at the end of this post, and feel free to nominate whomever you would like. I was quite flattered to see that R' Gil Student of Hirhurim nominated myself or Chana to go; alas, one of my best friends is getting married the day of the convention, and I don't think it would be fair to Serach or my new job to take off a week. I've also seen a number of people suggest SoccerDad or Baila (who made aliyah on an NBN flight a couple of years ago), and all of these suggestions are excellent and they each would make great representatives for various reasons.
- 1) Take part in a Nefesh B'Nefesh flight to Israel, writing about the trip and the goings on; and
- 2) To take part in the second annual J-blogger convention in Israel.
My own nominee is based on the following criteria; I was looking for someone who is:
Based on all these criteria, my nominee is Bad4Shidduchim. One need only to look back to earlier this year, when she guest posted a series (along with Bas~Melech) about running a marathon for Chai Lifeline to see how she can capture both the fun and joy and the emotion and meaning in a series of events. Her blog is full of humor, great catches on the little aspects of life, and an understanding of what moves people; she has a tremendous audience that is very responsive to what she writes; and her audience is predominantly younger. If one of the objectives of sending someone is the hope that their writing will stir others to consider making aliyah, targeting a young audience that is otherwise not going to be particularly exposed to the convention or the flight seems to be a very good approach. A great writer is a must for a task like this, I think Bad4 would be a fantastic choice to send to join this trip.
- Young, preferably single
- Has a very large blog following
- Has an audience that may not be the typical one for an NBN flight, but who would be very receptive to what is written about it
- Can be both serious and entertaining
- Can flat-out write in a stirring way when the material calls for it
- Can capture the emotion and setting of different events
- and of course, would take the responsibility to share with the audience everything that's happening very seriously
Whomever Nefesh B'Nefesh chooses, I hope they have a wonderful time and a moving, meaningful experience.
The details of the contest are below.
Send your fellow blogger on a free round-trip visit to Israel!
Now’s your chance to select a Jewish blogger who will be flying on a Nefesh B’Nefesh charter Aliyah flight on Monday, September 7, 2009 and attend the Second International Jewish Bloggers Convention.
Nominate your fellow blogger with the "Send a Friend" form on the JBloggers.org website and with a post on your blog, and be sure to read the terms and conditions on the site to make sure your entry qualifies.
If you want to try to get on the flight, get a fellow blogger to nominate you.
The terms are simple:
- To nominate a fellow blogger, you must be registered to attend the convention
(in person or online).
- The nominated blogger can be located in Israel or the U.S.
- You must post on your blog who you nominated and why
(and obviously send us the information too).
- The blogger you nominate does not need to be registered to attend the convention.
- The nominated blogger must have a Jewish blog
(i.e. about Jews, Judaism, Israel, etc.).
- The blogger who flies in will be linked up with an Oleh/Olah/Family, and must write a series of posts about that experience.
- If you want to win, you must find a fellow blogger to nominate you.
- You can nominate more than one blogger (but don’t go overboard).
- All nominations must be in by Thursday, September 3, 2009.
- The NBN flight to Israel is on Monday, Sept. 7, 2009.
Additional terms and conditions
- The ticket is round-trip JFK-Israel.
- No ground accommodations or any other expenses are included.
- The winner will be selected by Nefesh B’Nefesh.