Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Difference Between Men & Women

Hilarious, accurate post at ProfK. Excerpt:
And then, one evening when they're driving home, a thought occurs to Elaine, and, without really thinking, she says it aloud: "Do you realize that, as of tonight, we've been seeing each other for exactly six months?"

And then there is silence in the car. To Elaine, it seems like a very loud silence. She thinks to herself: Geez, wonder if it bothers him that I said that. Maybe he's been feeling confined by our relationship; maybe he thinks I'm trying to push him into some kind of obligation that he doesn't want, or isn't sure of.

And Roger is thinking: Gosh. Six months.

And Elaine is thinking: But, hey, I'm not so sure I want this kind of relationship, either. Sometimes I wish I had a little more space, so I'd have time to think about whether I really want us to keep going the way we are, moving steadily toward...I mean, where are we going? Are we just going to keep seeing each other at this level of intimacy? Are we heading toward marriage? Toward children? Toward a lifetime together? Am I ready for that level of commitment? Do I really even know this person?

And Roger is thinking:...so, that means it was...let's see...February when we started going out, which was right after I had the car at the dealer's, which means...lemme check the odometer...Whoa! I am way overdue for an oil change here.

7 comments:

  1. This has always been one of my favorite pieces! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. I thought everyone could use a little dose of humour to leaven our more serious postings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very funny!
    gave me a good laugh, thanx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now wait a minute as a guy i have the right to demand to know just what's so funny about that story! makes perfect sense

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Elaine was sharp she wouldn't say "Geez"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that piece from Dave Barry's guide to Guys. Kol hamoer davar beshem omro mevi geula laolam. So we should try to credit orignal sources.

    ReplyDelete