Pages

Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Real Leadership

Tonight I received an email from someone in the shul I daven in which said the following (edited slightly):
All,

As I'm sure you all know, the Weberman trial has been going on for the past week, and I personally have been following this trial pretty closely, and have gone to court as well as a protest in the name of this victim and all victims whom are suffering in silence due to the pressure and intimidation of our very own community. We all read about these things in the news, and talk about how it is terrible that these things happen, and then we go on with our day.

Well, here is a chance for each and everyone of us to make a difference and show the victims that we will stand by their side, and Yes, we care and will not tolerate the fear and intimidation that is being bred throughout our schools and Shuls. 
At Shalish Shudas this past week I mentioned to the Rabbi that I wanted to go to the trial, and he praised the idea and even mentioned that he should go himself. I called Rebbi today and asked him if he would come with me to court tomorrow, and sure enough, he is is a man of his word and told me he will come to show his support. I know for myself what this has done for me in the past couple hours knowing that the Rabbi is coming to show his support - imagine what it will do for these victims knowing that they have a Rabbi with a complete congregation in their corner! 
I know this is short notice but I ask you all to take out a couple of hours tomorrow morning and come to court with me, Rebbi, and a couple of others (so far) to show our support.
The trial is at Brooklyn Criminal Court 320 Jay St ( there is a parking lot on the block) 20th Floor. Court starts at 9 a.m.

Please respond if you plan on coming and we will work out rides together.
Thanks!
Some have already replied they will come along; others (including myself) noted that they can't take off work on such short notice, but expressed support. If anyone is interested in joining, please feel free to do so - it would mean an incredible amount to those who have been abused and others. The girl in this case was told that a shul would be coming led by their Rav, and was beyond words. R' Yaakov Horowitz has written a number of pieces on the case and why people should come show their support, and has himself been going as well.

As for myself, I'm just honored to be a part of such a shul.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you to your community for publicly showing support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://thepartialview.blogspot.com/2013/01/closing-age-gap-on-shidduchim-goes-back.html

    ReplyDelete