Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Wasting a month in Crawford

George W. Bush has been on vacation this past month at his ranch in Crawford, Texas. How much "vacation" a President gets is a matter of debate, but he did get in a couple of bike rides and managed to clear some brush away.
Cindy Sheehan, meanwhile, spent a month protesting the Iraq war which claimed her son Casey's life. She came to Crawford demanding to speak to the President, ostensibly upset that some reports seem to show Iraq did not possess weapons of mass destruction, something she wasn't aware of the first time she met with President Bush. Until today, Sheehan seemed to be adamant that Bush meet with her.
Sheehan says she won't leave "Camp Casey" until Bush meets with her during his monthlong ranch visit, or until his vacation ends. She met with two top Bush administration officials on her first day of the protest.
But today, while Sheehan and her fellow protesters were packing up, Sheehan spoke a little differently...
"I look back on it, and I am very, very, very grateful he did not meet with me, because we have sparked and galvanized the peace movement," Sheehan told The Associated Press. "If he'd met with me, then I would have gone home, and it would have ended there."
In truth, Cindy Sheehan never cared about meeting with President Bush. All she was interested in was creating a media circus to try and swing many people to become anti-war. In essence, Sheehan is admitting to trying to dupe the American public: 'I didn't really want the President to meet with me; I only said as much to rally support for my views.' Cindy Sheehan was not in the slightest a grief-stricken mother with questions about her unfortunate son's death; she was a conniving mother exploiting her son's tragedy for her own, leftist, idealistic political gain.
Though thank God I cannot relate, I do pity Cindy Sheehan - she has lost a son, and her mother is very sick.

But she is making it a lot harder to feel her pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment